Monday, September 29, 2008

I have a 9 year old! Yikes!

Happy Birthday Layton!
My oldest son turned 9 on Saturday and I really can't believe that time has gone by so fast. There is only a year left before he gets into the double digits in his age and I'm sad to see these years go. He has always acted older then he really is. Even as a 2 yr old he was getting in trouble for saying things to people he didn't understand. But because he acted like a child who would know better he was misunderstood a lot. Unfortunately, this hasn't changed much. His mouth is still running faster then his maturity level. I'm sure he'll grow out of it eventually but not without some hard life lessons I'm sure. Because of this though I think I feel him slipping away into independency quicker then I had anticipated. I am truly proud of the way he has grown. It isn't easy for either of us, but well worth it when I see the man that he can become.
For his Birthday he wanted to keep it simple. A sleepover with 10 kids. Simple right? Luckily only 3 of the 10 could spend the night. Everybody else left around 11:00. And all I want to say to that is Hallelujah! It made my night a bit easier. I think he had a good time. The party started at 6:00 and didn't stop moving until 2:00 in the morning. In between pizza, opening presents, singing and blowing out candles, the kids played our new Wii and the X-box. A boys heaven! And if those were taken then we also had a play station set up. After awhile I took the boys out to play ghost in the grave yard and other silly night games. It was fun to see them run around hiding and seeking like I did when I was that age. It brought back some fun memories. I hope he will have the same wonderful memories of his childhood like I do mine. Then I'll know I did something right. Here are some pictures of his party. There were so many boys in my house We could barely walk around. And there was a lot of rough housing that we definitely did not have room for. I told Don we need a bigger house for next time because this party (in Layton's mind) was a bit on the small side. Go figure!
They were SCREAMING the happy birthday song in the most annoying way only ten 8-9 year old boys can. Note to self: We will be skipping this part next time!
Now for my favorite part of the night! This truly was a lot of fun!


Happy Birthday my sweet Layton! I wont let another year go by without making sure you know how much I love you on a daily bases. This is my promise to you! I love you sweet pea! ......... MOM! Don't call me that!...... Why?.......... Because I'm 9 now and that is what you called me when I was a baby. It's embarrassing........... Can I call you that for just one more year ? PLEASE?........ NO MOM! You call Brigham that and I am to much of a Man for that........... OH REALLY! OK, I get it, I get it! No more sweet peas. How 'bout "My Little Man"? Hee Hee......... MOM Seriously!

6 comments:

Nana/Mom said...

oh my, yes, they do grow up fast!!! But, it does look like it was lots of fun, for all. I guess the only thing missing was the fort in the living room, LOL.
Love ya, Mom/Nana

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday, Layton! Looks like it was a fun one so thank yo mama! :)

Shelly said...

How fun. I wish I could have been there to play. What a great mom you are to take on a big boy sleep over. I bet Layton loved it. He looks so handsome and I just can not believe how fast they grow. Happy Birthday Layton.

tiffany knox said...

you and nat do such a great job at making us feel a part of things. happy birthday layton you rock!
that party looked fun I wish i could've come Im really good at the midnight games. miss you all!

Anonymous said...

Another great job, done by a great, Mom,
Cherstin!
And yes - Layton will remember this
wonderful birthday and many more to come!
Glad you had a chance for a little break on
Saturday.
YOU all take care,
LOL Grandma/Oma & Grandpa/Opa

fuzziecookie8@gmail.com said...

Happy Birthday Layton!!
-heart-
Jessie