Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Granny, I love you!

Boy, It's been a long time since I've blogged. I have to say I miss it. Life after a deployment is not always easy. A lot of adjusting going on whether we like it or not. And just when we were getting things back to normal wouldn't you know our lives got flipped upside down again. I received a phone call from my mother explaining that my grandmother (Granny) went in to surgery, had a massive stroke, and wasn't going to survive. I haven't seen my Granny in over 2 years and all I kept thinking was "NO! not yet!" I wanted to see her one more time. Get that final hug that could never be mistaken. Losing a close family member is something I haven't had to do yet. Everybody has their time I know but it has taken me awhile to write this post. It seemed more final writing it down like this I guess. And I didn't want to face all the emotions that come with it. We immediately had to change our planes for the funeral. I was so grateful that Don could be there with me along with the kids. I knew she was happy to see all of us there. Along with my family, my sisters were there and my brother. My aunt and uncle from Utah and two of their kids and my other aunt and her family and uncle and his children who live there. It was a beautiful funeral, If there is such a thing, and we actually all had a wonderful time just getting to know one another again. I know that is exactly what she was wanting for a long time. A family reunion. And she got us there.......But we missed her, In the kitchen, making every southern dish you can think of from scratch. The kitchen was here domain. She knew it like the back of her hand. In fact in the last couple of years she had become pretty blind I was told but you never would have guessed it as she moved about making this and that for family and friends. As I was looking through the cupboards for some jam for the kids I found a whole stash of plum jelly that she had made 2 weeks before. I wanted to take one with me and savor it, never letting her memory fade. My grandpa Evan (Pa) was so strong. I wasn't expecting that but I should have known that he would be that way. That's how she would have expected him to be. My Pa told me that after he came home from the hospital and started off to bed he went in to his bedroom and saw the bed all done up and made just right. It was then he knew that she knew she was not coming back. And he almost didn't want to pull down the sheets. I wouldn't have, I know I'm not as strong. She was in a lot of pain and despite everybody asking her not to get this very risky surgery, she decided she just couldn't live that way anymore. And for that reason alone I am grateful that she is where she is, happy and safe from any pain. For my mother and her two sisters I decided to make bracelets that were all the same. I also made one for their mother to ware for all eternity. I was hoping this would help in the healing process for them. But it turned out that it was for me as well. I got to place the bracelet that I made for her on her. I was a little leery at first. I think any funeral is hard that way. But it became very personal and I knew she loved it. Oh, I miss her! She was good to us all and now she is just getting everything ready for when it's our turn to pass through the Vail. She's just like that. That's what I like to picture any way. I cant wait to see her again and receive the hug I'm aching for. I miss you Granny.

This is my mom and her dad, my Pa.

Me, Sister Tiffany, my Mom Faye, Sister Mandy, and Sister Natalie.

My Uncle Harold and his kids: Alisha, Timmy and his wife Leandra.

Cousin Alisha, her mom Aunt Brenda, My wonderful Pa, Sister Mandy and her son Tyson. My mom, My awesome aunt Linda, My sweet, sweet aunt Margret. Sister Tiffany, cousin Cami, daughter to Aunt Linda, Cousin Lindsey,daughter to aunt Margret. That's not the whole crew but you get the point.

7 comments:

Casey said...

Now that I have dried my eyes I can type this. That was such a nice tribute to your Granny. I know you love her very much. The wonderful thing about Heavenly Father's Plan is that you know she is safe and happy right now. Thanks for sharing such a tender story.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cherstin and Family,
We are thinking about you and
your loss - but like you said,
your Granny is in a better place.
Take care - best to you, Donnie,
boys and your Mom and family.

Love, Grandma/Oma & Grandpa/Opa

Shelly said...

Cherstin,
I am sorry about your granny. I know it must have been hard. Luckily we are able to know with out a doubt that we all have the opportunity to have eternal life. Death is never easy but it is very reasuring to know that if we keep the commandments we can see each other again.
Love ya,
The Castle's

Nana/Mom said...

Cherstin, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It is hard to loose someone you love, but how awful to have never known her. She has left a wonderful legacy, her family. Know that she saw all of you there, and rejoiced, "look at my family, aren't they wonderful". All my love to you, and my boys, and remember to think of her with joy. I am sure, that is what she would want. kisses Mom/Patsi

Becca & Joel said...

Oh, honey! Here is a virtual hug (hug, hug, hug!!!) from me! How sweet that you were able to share your talent with your Granny, Aunts and mother with matching bracelets! You are so thoughtful!

Nick & Cami said...

Hey Cherst!
What a beautiful post! You are such a sweetheart! I told you I would find you on here! I love you and feel blessed that I got to see you and meet your beautiful family! Hope you guys are doing well, I love you!
Cami!

Linda Campbell said...

Dear Cherstin & Don
I just read your entry about Mom and it was so beautiful. It was great to see all of our beautiful family. You are amazing people, and so great to be around. I know Granny was so proud of her posterity. I have not taken off my bracelet. That simple act meant so much to me.I don't know if I ever will take it off. Thank you for that kindness to all of us-for some reason I have felt connected to my mom and sisters in a special way- and that was a very thoughtful act you did for all of us. Thank you-Love Ya!