Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I have to say I'm a little worried that I may have over did it with my last post. I have been frustrated with my 2 yr old lately and that may have come across a little to much through my words. I have received some anonymous comments that, dare I say, hurt me to think that they didn't get fully what I was trying to say about my sweet lil' Briggy. The first anonymous comment I deleted thinking that it would make me feel better. Unfortunately, it didn't. The comment was that I obviously am not beating him hard enough. And If they didn't have kids already this would have made them want to be sterile. I'm Paraphrasing. To this person who wants to remain anonymous, It is apparent to me that you don't know Brigham. Because If you did you would know how sweet and fun and adorable he is. When I was pregnant with him I became depressed knowing that I was pregnant and that it was, once again, a boy. I felt guilty for feeling this way but not enough to pull me out of it. It wasn't until he was born that I was taught the lesson the Lord wanted me to learn. He was born full of life. So happy and ready for anything and everything. Always smiling always giggling. Snuggling. Just happy and full of joy to be here. He hasn't changed. He still is full of life, Running like he's going to miss something. He is so happy to just discover and try everything that is in his path. He is so spirited. His personality is intoxicating. You just want to be around him and watch him be imaginative and watch him interact with people and things around him. He's so smart and he makes me laugh everyday. Even if he wasn't all these things I would think that he was cute enough because he is MY son. MY child. And all the messes in the world will never change that.







On to the next comment. Disciplining children isn't an easy thing and I think most parents can agree with that. Every child is different. Which means the way you discipline each child will be different. How I disciplined my other children when they got to this phase (and it is a phase) isn't necessarily the right thing for Brigham. But we will figure this out. It already has gotten better. But,It doesn't happen over night. And sometimes the hardest parts are just getting through it. I don't need Nanny 911 because I am VERY confident in myself and my parenting that I can handle it and get this under control. I don't have unruly children. They aren't bad seeds. They're not perfect but they are kids. It would be unfair to expect them to be. That's why I have to keep at it. And do the best I can. They are extremely Loved. And part of being a loving parent requires the discipline. I know this and do it on a daily bases. I will do whatever it takes to help my children be the best that they can be. And help them to become successful, loving parents of their own someday. The best examples of great parenting to me are my own parents. I was truly blessed to have a wonderful childhood. It wasn't because I was perfect. Or even because they were perfect, because they weren't. It was because I knew they cared and they showed that through love. Sometimes tough love. But love none the less. So I know how to deal with this. And then it will all be a distant memory. One that will make me laugh when I think about it or look at the pictures. There will be a day I will miss it. I already miss these days with my older ones. I wish I would have been better at expressing my feelings and keeping a journal to help me remember their little phases through this time.. It all goes by so fast.










At first I was really hurt by the comments. But now I'm gonna have to say I'm over it. This experience helped me to stop feeling sorry for myself. And realize what I already knew about this sweet boy. That I've just been blinded by the frustrations of life with THIS certain 2 yr old. But that I need to look at it more as a growing experience for the both of us. And in the end we would have become even closer.






Having said all that. I want to remind people that words do hurt. I blog because it is therapeutic for me. And to connect with friends and family. But reading mean things on my Blog is not fun obviously. And ruins it for me. I've noticed that this unkindness seems to be happening more and more ofen out there as I do the blog surfing thing. And I am really disappointed. We all seem to be adults and yet this act of rudeness is pretty immature if you ask me. Even my kids in elementary school are taught to follow the golden rule of: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Not a hard concept people. Didn't your mothers ever teach you; IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL Come on, Let's kept it friendly and fun.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

No kidding, 'Anonymous'! Seriously, if you don't want to attach your name to a comment, then maybe you shouldn't say it.
I don't think getting outside help is a bad suggestion, cuz I've told you many times that I wish someone would tell me how to parent my toughest one. I don't think asking for advice from an expert means you are admitting you are a 'bad parent'. 'Anonymous' probably had good intentions.
She was just tactless and rude about it!
(I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, don't I? It's a part of that pesky 'avoiding confrontation' characteristic of mine...doesn't mean I'm taking her side or anything. Just wanting to help you feel better to look at it in a less defensive light, I guess.)
All I can say is you are one strong woman to handle all you handle. I don't think 'Anonymous' has a clue.

Taffy said...

I remember reading one of the comments the the Lord doesn't give you more than you can handle...with marriage, kids, other people. From what I have read on your blog it seems to me that you are raising 4 wonderful boys. Parenting is never all smiles and giggles but it always love. No matter what the is love. Poor juice on the TV- I still love you. Pour resin on your body I still love you. Sometimes you need to vent though and I think that is okay. Vent about the bad behaviors or bad days but there is still always love. At the end of a bad day I can always look at my son sleeping and I see an angel. A beautiful angel and all seems okay in the world. I hope you know that you have a lot of blog reader support out here. No one ever said being a parent was easy and I think you are handling it with grace!

Mandy Stewart said...

I give people benefit of the doubt a lot too... but this person is a BULLY and intended to make you feel bad. They are judgmental and are prob sitting at the computer tonight surfing blogs, butting thier nose into others business, and sharing thier crul thoughts to bring people down. His/her self esteem must be sooo low that Cyber Bulling make them feel better about themselvs. How cowardly is that! THATS RIGHT PERSON... I called you a coward. Come out and fight like a man(woman). I want a peice of you. What is your blog so I can get on it and judge you....


Can you tell I am mad :-)

darciandwyatt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
the jackson five said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mandy Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hi there, I came over from cally...I have been seeing more and more rudenesses on blog comments lately. Kind of makes me wanna go private! But hey, don't worry about all that. I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to be a wonderful mom. I had to laugh when I read that comment about the parenting classes..not because it was funny but because of the ignorance. I have a daughter who is ADHD and I am constantly getting comments IN PERSON and "advice" on how to be a better parent. At first I would get so hurt but now I realize that some people are just like that. And I know if they actually knew us and how much progress we have made over the years they might not be so critical. And really, when it all comes down to it,nobody has the right to criticize other people's parenting when they don't even know them to begin with!
But really, all kids go through phases . And now that mine are big I miss it!!!

Anonymous said...

Where was anonymous when you posted your blog of our reunion? Where were the judging eyes of other "brave" anonymous commenter’s while you were posting you life for so I could feel closer to my family while I was 8000 miles away? Is Brig out of control? Sure. Do you really think we're unaware of what his challenges are and how we, as parents, are going to meet them? Interesting how one feels qualified to comment on a life they know nothing of and give "advice" where simple love and sympathy (thank you Nat, Taffy, Mandy and Chantal) was all that was sought. Do me a favor. Will all the people who have been single parents and have perfectly well adjusted kids with zero social/developmental or emotional issues please raise your hands? I thought so.

I'm not really sure what "anonymous'" motive was. Was it to help? Fail! Was it to make them feel better about them self? Fail!
What I do know is that I could not have blessed to be with a better person to help me raise such wonderfully special boys- ALL OF THEM!

You know what doesn't get blogged (I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this)? Is the tearful calls I get from home from a woman whom I love more than I thought I had the ability to, pouring her heart out and stressing how unqualified and unequal to the task she is to raise our family while I'm so far away. There is an absolute sense of helplessness that reverberates through the phone. My heart aches for her. My soul cries for mercy from all my worldly burden so that I may take my rightful place among my family, but instead all I can do is encourage my beautiful wife, help to rebuild her esteem, reassure her that the sacrifice we and she, make for others will not go unnoticed and that our boys will be fine. There is nothing more sacred in this world than family-my family!

Perhaps before pushing the "publish your comment" button every other anonymous will take the time to read and learn about the whole person through the blog instead of interjecting their sterile idealology that has little, if any relevance in OUR life.

I love you Chersty! I'm proud of the work you, and all the other mommy’s do in the home. I'm grateful for the sacrifice you make on our behalf. Someday we'll honor you for all you have done, but it will never measure up.

And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. (Genesis 17:16)

Natalie said...

I'm crying. Don you are awesome. Thanks for making my sister feel better. Love you so much!

Nana/Mom said...

Hi, there is not a single thing that I can add-as I was reading thru the comments from your friends and family, all I could think was WOW!!! Some people are mean cause they can be, and in such a sneaky way. Please know how much Dad and I love all of you, and how much pride we have in all of you. Oh and Don-wow-just wow-love Nana Mom

Anonymous said...

Way to go Donnie!

Cherstin is doing the very best she can
and I think she is doing it well!

Take care of each other, love your boys
and "stuff" will fall into place.

Love, Grandma/Oma