Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I wish my decision was that easy!

For about a month now, Layton has been coming home and talking a lot about the upcoming election and asking a lot of questions about the candidates. At their school they have been teaching them about the issues and the importance of voting. On election day, Nov. 4Th, the school held their own election. They set up the music room with different booths and ballots. They had red, white and blue balloons everywhere for decoration. each class would take their turn through out the day to go and cast their vote. And at the end of the day they would announce who THEY elected to be the next president.


When I went to pick them up Layton couldn't wait to tell me which one Northside voted for president. OK so this is our conversation in the car on the way home....................

Layton: Ok, you know that I voted for Obama, Right?

Mom: Yes, did he win?

Layton: No! John McCain did!

Mom: Really!! (that surprised me.)

Jaren: Yea, I voted for John McCain!

Layton: WHAT! WHY?

Mom: Hey Layton, he can vote for whoever he wants. It's his right.

Jaren:Yea, Layton. Leave me alone!

A pretty big pause and I was wondering why he voted for John McCain. And quietly (so Layton wouldn't hear) I asked Jaren..........

Mom: So why did you vote for McCain?

Jaren: Oh, because his first name starts with a J just like mine and his last name reminds me of candy. You know like candy cane?

Mom: (with a big smile on my face) Oh, yea, that makes sense. Good for you buddy!

Jaren: Thanks!

I am grateful that he made a vote based on those things. I shouldn't expect anything less from a 6 year old. I'm glad that he was taught the importance of voting but I just want him to be a kid and live a happy, unconfused life.

I had a really hard time this election. Even some tears of frustration were shed on which of the lesser evils to choose from. Now that I know who won, it hasn't brought me any comfort and I am still scared for the future. But I would have had just as many fears if John McCain was put in office. I was prayerful. And I didn't feel like I got a feeling either way. I'm not sure what that means but it is what it is. And a new beginning is upon us whether we like it or not. I love this country. I am proud to be an American. My heart over flows with pride.

IN GOD WE TRUST!

And that is what we all need to do right now.

8 comments:

Nana/Mom said...

AMEN SISTER, AMEN......

Natalie said...

Great post, Chersty! So beautifully put. Love you hon!

Casey said...

I love Jaren's little story. Alexa wants to know why Layton voted for Obama. sorry, you had such a hard time. I'm not happy with the election either. I told Tim that we are going to have to give ourselves food storage for Christmas because I'm afraid with all those dems in office they will be taxing us out of our house. Scary thought.

Kim said...

TOTALLY!

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

Wow! Can I just tell you that I am so happy to be on the same wavelength as my sisters!!!!! James and I watched the results came in and my comment to him was just what ya'll said, too - food storage just moved to the top of our list!

Also, our kids did school elections, too, and Charlie voted for Obama becuase his name was fun to say. Sam voted for McCain becuase her teacher's name is Cain.

Anonymous said...

Great story, one to remember and
tell them when they are REALLY
voting.
Otherwise I agree with nana/mom:

Amen sister, Amen.

Grandma/Oma

Mandy Stewart said...

I love it. Lets just hang on tight and see what happens. I hope Don doesn't have to go any where soon because of the outcome.

tiffany knox said...

I love that converstation I felt like I was there! call me soon. I miss talking to you. what are your thanksgiving plans?