Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Riverfest weekend!

Here in Little Rock Arkansas, over Memorial Day weekend, they have a big party down by the river called Riverfest. Yes, I know, very original. It's a lot of fun with big concerts, carnival like games, activities and way over priced food. It lasts all weekend long and on the last night they end the festivities with a fireworks show. Well I got all excited because One Republic was coming to give a concert there on Saturday. So I asked one of my really good friends Krista, if she would like to join me for what I was anticipating to be an awesome concert. She was just as excited as I was and we both really couldn't wait. First we decided to go out to eat at a restaurant before getting there because the food is to expensive and just plain bad for you at the Riverfest. ( you know carnival food, Yuck!) We started hours earlier then the concert so we new we would have plenty of time. But you can't get girls together without chatting the night away which we almost did. Girls never grow up either I guess. So we were off to the concert. We did everything backwards. Paying to much for parking, parking on the wrong side of the river, walking the longest rout to the concert, cell phones not working, pee brakes along the way,(Krista and her water obsession. Seriously this girl can drink! LOL) it's a wonder we ever got there. Finnally we made it and just in time, so we thought. But there was a huge crowd already and it seemed like they had been playing for awhile. All well, We weaseled our way through the crowd to get to a spot that we could actually see them and plopped a squat. I took pictures of the concert but none of them came out. Bummer! It was a great concert, even better then I thought it would be. They were all so talented. And after the concert our trend of doing everything backwards continued until we were out of there. The funny thing is that we both agreed that we wanted to bring our kids back the next day to watch the fireworks. We must of had a good time because even writing that sounds crazy. But the next night we piled 6 kids in the van and headed back. Now for some reason i took plenty of pictures this night even though to me the best part of the weekend was the concert and being with Krista. But this was fun too. It reminded me of how wonderful and care free it is to be a kid. down by the river where they were setting off the fireworks was a brand new kids area. It was so new that half of it was still blocked off for construction. But the water fountains were up and running. And to a kid how can you resist that! Even though we were not prepared for a water extravaganza, we agreed to let them run and play and have all the fun a child should. THIS was actually FREE! As a kid I could see this night as being so magical. Fountains shooting out of the ground while burst of color shoot up in to the sky nearly over our heads. Sometimes I wish I was a kid again just to have that magic feeling one more time. It was truly a great weekend. I was actually taking a picture of Kelland but Layton was trying to be funny. He kept doing this several time. After the first time it's just not funny any more. A lesson that is hard to learn for some. Your so silly Layton!
Jaren is just a cute kid. he loves to play in water so this was the best night ever for him! Water just shooting out of the ground! How can we do this at our house?! I just wanted to put a picture up of the magical fountains. Kelland: "Where does it come from mom?"








And then the fireworks. This was Brigham's favorite part. He's not to fond of getting wet so for him this was the part that intrigued him the most.







Jeren Watching the fireworks under a cozy blanket. I'm glad we brought them.



I think it's quit obvious what he needs help with in this picture however, just five seconds after this picture was taken I looked over to find a bare butt and a stream of, well, you guessed it. I was horrified and several adults were chuckling at our expense. Classic Kelland. Lesson learned Mom? Probably not!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boys will be Boys, and those 4 are BOYS. Looks like fun was had by all, on both nights. Thanks for sharing....XOXO Patsi/Nana

Natalie said...

Ooo...next year I wanna come! Let's plan on it. xoxo!

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl!
Glad a good times was had by
all!
Call me I will come for the FEST with
you all next year.
Love, Grandma/Oma

0X0C0X

Mandy Stewart said...

Reminds me of Red, White and BOOM! I'm glad you had fun!

cally said...

SOOOO much fun! Your boys are adorable.

Anonymous said...

I've barely been gone 2 months and you're already dating? Ha, ha just kidding.

Emilee said...

Looks so fun! I'm glad you could feel like a kid again. Sometimes that is just the best feeling!

Becca & Joel said...

How great for you to get a girls night! Are those fountains on during the day? We should totally have a play group there if they are still free!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys had so much fun. I really love having girls night every now and then. Those fountains look like so much fun, why couldn't they have had those when we were there? So, my mom tells me you're preggo again! I am soooo crossing my fingers for a girl!!!! Miss you lots!

daveandlisa said...

That sounds like so much fun. I still love to play in the water just as much as my kids do. I probably should grow up sometime soon. Everyone is probably staring at me wondering why the heck I'm running around acting just like the kids are. Oh well. It's just more fun than sitting on the side.

Yeah you should totally do the water balloon fight thing for two reasons. 1) The kids absolutely love it and at the end of the day you look like the best mom in the world. 2)(my personal favorite reason) It wears the kids out like crazy. Every parent I talked to that was there said that their kids just crashed when they got home and went to bed so early including my kids.