Friday, October 31, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

BOO AT THE ZOO



What should we do for family night? Oh I don't know, How about go to an overly price NIGHT OF TERROR!! The kids will love it!
So here's the deal. The Little Rock Zoo puts on a carnival every year around Halloween. It cost $5 dollars a person to get in and that will get you a strip of 9 tickets. They have little booths set up through out the park with people handing out candy. Each ticket gets you 2 pieces of candy. There are carnival rides all over the place but you have to purchase other tickets for those rides.Of course against our children's request we did NOT purchase these tickets. To expensive for a family of 6 And just not worth it. Needless to say we were not prepared for our wallets to be cleaned out that night. They had food but again not included in the admission. There were a few haunted houses that you could pay cash for. $1 to $5 depending on how spooked you wanted to get. And we did pay $5 dollars for all the boys and Daddy to go through the lamest haunted house / maze. Jaren loved it though. He pretended he was a real trooper saving the world. I know what your thinking, At least there were animals to see. WRONG!!! No Animals! Not even scary ones that you might see out around Halloween. Nothing!! To top the whole evening off it was the coldest night we have had so far this fall. In the 40's with a strong wind. Pretty cold! And Don didn't even want to go but I convinced him it would be fun. Oops! My bad! Sorry Don! Now that I painted this horrible picture of the night let me tell you why I actually had a good time.
BECAUSE OF THESE KIDS!







They had so much fun. Brigham couldn't get enough of everything. He was in wide-eyed wonderment with every light, every sound, every scary thing he saw the whole night long. Jaren was excited to see other storm troopers and star wars characters. There were lots of them. He actually went up to one kid who was about his age and said. "Hi, My name is commander Rex and you are my storm trooper." It was endearing because of how innocent it was and comical for how serious he was. He's so funny! Layton liked all the spooky stuff and at one point was begging for a chance to go into a scary haunted...uhh...tent. (Not really a house) And kelland enjoyed.....Well, kelland enjoys everything. So he was just happy to be there. We did just really have a good time as a family and for as cold as it was and lack of funds for the night there really wasn't a lot of complaining. Now that is a miracle all in itself. Despite all this I can pretty much grantee that we will NOT be going back next year. Once is enough for us. We wouldn't want to ruin a good thing now would we?

4 comments:

Casey said...

It's always a bummer when you want to take your kids to do something fun and everything is too expensive. If you only had one child it wouldn't be as big a deal. Too bad they don't cater to families like us.

I have to say I have never been impressed with the LR Zoo. We went quite a few times for school stuff but then decided once to go to the Memphis Zoo. We loved it. Much better. We even went at Christmas time one year for Maya's birthday and they had a big christmas light show. I really enjoyed it because, well, I love christmas and like you, it was with my family.

Casey said...

Oh! I also wanted to tell you that I have been loving reading your blog. You sound so happy and enjoying life with your kids. That's how it should be for us stay at home moms, right?

Anonymous said...

Hello Cherstin,
I can remember Ron and I working at the
Columbus Zoo at "Boo at the Zoo" and
Christmas too.
We enjoyed all the children and their
excitement.
It is awful of me but I do not remember if
we ever took Donnie & Kari.
(What about Kari's news???!!!) Wonderful.
Sorry to stray - Love you all - take care,
Grandma/Oma & Grandpa/Opa

Mandy Stewart said...

I hate when family outings go sour when they were suppose to be soooo fun. You always have to focus on the good moments otherwise nothing is worth it when you have that many rug rats! I relate. It sounds like the kiddos had fun. I can just see all their smiles. I love you!