Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cupcakes for dinner anyone?!!!


I always wish for a perfect April fools prank to come along. One that isn't hurtful or harmful but full of fun. One that would knock your socks off. My usual target is my husband. I would love to catch him off guard. But it has never happened. Mostly because I forget the stupid day altogether until April 3rd or 4th. Obviously to late. Yesterday, I was at the store picking up a prescription at the store and talking to my Sister Natalie on the phone. She just happened to remind me then of the special prank day. And immediately I was disappointed that another prank day had come with me not prepared. She said she always wanted to come up with a silly dinner to prank her family. I figured since I was at the store I could make this happen. So our plans went into motion. We both decided on the same type dinner to prank our families with. I got all the ingredients and was smiling from ear to ear in anticipation for my "evil" plan.

I decided to make the kids a fun after school treat to start off the food fun. I made mud pudding, and put in a few gummy worms for effect. I took plastic cups and filled them with the messy stuff. Then I told them on the way home from school my elaborate story of how I inquired cups full of mud and worms for them to play in. (Only boys would buy this I think) They immediately came in and went for the usual after school snacks but stopped short when I pulled out the cups of mud for them to play in. At first they believed me but one by one their little noses bent down to smell the sweet mud and it was decided that this was something better. I still had to remind them that this was not to play in but to eat. Brigham didn't listen putting real dirt in there for, what I can only imagine, was for more flavor. He didn't get to participate as long as the others did. He was a mess.! So great!! I had fooled them. Layton even told Dad of the awesome snack prank that I had pulled. Always a good sign for success. Now on to the second part of my plan.

The kids were asking what was for dinner and I had suggested cup cakes. They looked at me like I was lying. Asking if I was "for reals" as they put it. I said sure why not. The only problem with this was now everybody was ready and willing to help me with the cupcakes. It was hard to keep them out of the kitchen. and when they saw meatloaf in the cupcake holders they started to catch on to my little prank. When Don came home he was just playing along and waiting patiently for dinner. He was hungry and I'm sure he wouldn't of cared what I served as long as it was edible. When I started dividing the mash potatoes into 3 different bowls for food coloring, my prank finally took effect. That's when every body came in to sample the sweet frosting as they always do. And mash potatoes with food coloring looks a lot like frosting. So little fingers would go in to take a big taste. One by one you could see there disappointment that it wasn't the sugary stuff. Kelland was the funniest. After his bit he looked like he was going to throw up. But once he knew what it was and what it was for he enjoyed every bit. The kids were excited to have a funky dinner. I was excited that I pulled it off. And Don was just excited to have something to eat. I was surprised that all of the cupcakes were eaten. And I only had one. I swear it was because they looked like cupcakes. They wouldn't have eaten as many if it looked like meatloaf. and boring mash potatoes. It was fun. A dinner to remember. I have a funny feeling that I will be making this meal again here soon for birthdays. They enjoyed it that much. In all the commotion though, I forgot to yell out April fools! What a bummer. Now I'm just a crazy lady who likes to experiment with food coloring.


6 comments:

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

YEAH!!!! Good job, Cherstin!!! All I did was put food coloring in the milk so they were suprised in the morning with green milk - you went all out! Way to go. :)

Anonymous said...

Cherstin - I applaud you!!!

Something like that would never have
crossed my mind.
What a great idea! The boys wont forget
that and will talk about it when they grow
up.
Love to ALL,
Grandma/Oma

Nana/Mom said...

Hilarious!!!!!!!!! What a great idea-looks like fun was had by all, where is Brigs pic? Love you Mom

Emily said...

SO CUTE!!
I love that idea and I am gonna do it next year!
Love you sweetie!
Em

Chelsie said...

YOU MAKE THE COOLEST THINGS!!!

Holy cow, you are the COOLEST mom. I wish I was cool... I would love to do this, was it hard?

Becca & Joel said...

You are so creative! I didn't even realize it was a special day until the end... too late. maybe next year I'll KINKO your idea!