Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sotlight: Pedersen Family

Yesterday was a hard day for Don and I. We attended a memorial service of Carrie and Lucas Pedersen. Don flew with Jim Pedersen often and was deployed with him this last time. And I knew Carrie from the spouses group. the last time I remember being with Carrie was at the spouses C-130 ride. It was fun getting to know her better and sharing that experience with everybody. On January 6th they were coming back from Memphis, Which is 2 hrs away from us, and a semi truck stopped abruptly and Jim swerved to get out of the way. Their car hit the truck on the passenger side. Carrie was killed instantly and Lucas was life flighted but died on the way to the hospital. Ashley the special 6 yr old was alert through the whole thing which just hurts your heart to think about. Jim went in and out of consciousness and had to be told what happened. We got to talk to him yesterday and he seems to be putting all his focus on his daughter and faith in the Lord. It's hard to imagine that we can lose any one of us in seconds. Like Jim said it all changed just like that. It helps to put things in perspective. I've concluded that we don't have enough pictures of the family. also that we let the little things get in the way to much and yell at the children to much. Little disputes that can put a wedge in our marriage sometimes is sooo not worth the energy. Also that i want to strengthen my relationship with my savior and really focus teaching my children of the love the savior has for them and how important it is to grow closer to him. And i don't visit my friends enough. or talk to them enough. And my extended family as well. I've been out to Az several times where i haven't taken the time to visit cousins and their families. I'm sure everybody feels this way and unfortunately life will get back to normal and i will probably slip back into the same old routine. But i will try to take this experience to heart. Jim and Ashley have lots of support from family and friend and we are planning to always be there for them And Carrie and sweet little Lucas have changed our live in more ways then one. The Pedersens have made a place in our hearts and we will keep them there always.

3 comments:

Mandy Stewart said...

I don't know what to say, other that HOW SAD... It makes me want to hug my family. I'll pray for them. I LOVE YOU!

Casey said...

What an awful experience. Thank you for sharing though. It does really make you stop and think about the things we take advantage of in this life. It is experiences like this that teach us the most.

tiffany knox said...

cherstin,
I want to give you a hug right now. I always cry reading things like that because I dont know where I would find the strength to get through something like that. Thanks for the advice I am trying to love my children and be a good mommy, but that was a sweet reminder of how much better I can be. I sure miss you.