Friday, January 9, 2009

I don't know why I've waited so long!


Well, maybe I do. Because he wouldn't want me to post this probably. But I just can't help it anymore! I want to shout it from the rooftops!!!! I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!! Shew! I feel a little better. But I want to explain why I am doing this and why I seem to be so passionate about him.


First off, it is his Birthday. Or was on the 6th, but we are celebrating it all week. He is the hardest person to try and celebrate for. So I've been trying hard to honor what he would want with the only things I know. How do I show him how I really feel? I always do a Birthday spotlight for my family members and he was no different. But that day I stopped myself and decided it would be something that he might be embarrassed with. So with all of my ideas that I had for my, one and only, I decided not to go through with them. There was always a doubt that he wouldn't like it or appreciate it. Ultimately though, what ended up happening was nothing. A big, fat nothing! He has been sick as well but still!!! I hate this feeling of letting him down. Of not showing how much I truly do appreciate him. How much I love him. So again, I don't know why I waited so long.


The first time I met Don was the summer before our freshman year of High School. We were both in band together. He played the saxophone and I was in Color Guard. (the people with the flags) We were at a band practice and the band members were in trouble for something and were being yelled at to stay at attention. The color Guard members were busy placing flags around the field. I was running through a line of band members when I accidentally hit one of them with the end of the flag pole. I immediately went back to say sorry for my carelessness. And to my surprise he didn't really acknowledge my apology. Or me for that matter. I do remember being a little put off by this and left it with something like, "I said I was sorry!" Well, you guessed it. It was Don that I clobbered with the flag pole and to his defence he didn't want to be the guy to get everybody in more trouble for talking or screaming out in pain (Not that you would have honey) so he just stayed quite. But I was oblivious to this and took offence. I quickly got over it though and hardly remembered the incident until he brought it up again years later. We have known each other ever since. We had one class every year together plus band and band trips. It really wasn't until our junior year that we really became good friends though. We were in an English class together and he would sit behind me. Some flirting went on but mostly just good conversation. Then our Senior year hit. And it was a big year with band and sports and all that fun high school stuff. We had government class that year together. Which was 1st period so I got to start my day off with him. He would always make fun of me because I was always late. That hasn't changed. And between classes I couldn't wait to get to his locker to flirt and talk until it was time to go to class. The whole year was like that. After we graduated there were graduation parties one after another. I almost didn't have time to make it to his party but I'm so glad I did. After meeting his family he walked me out to my car. And on the way he said to me, "Since we both are not in relationships anymore we should hang out more together." And I answered with, "I would like that." grinning from ear to ear. Because I had this exciting , funny feeling came over me. Like I knew right then and there that this was going to be more then just that. And I was excited. So we have known each other for a really long time. We have been through lots of stages in life together and have grown up side by side. We have been through a lot but it has just brought us closer. He works hard being a better person. And I've seen those changes and admire him for it. He is a WONDERFUL father. And I am so grateful that he has been in my life for this long.


Happy Birthday Don! Thank you for all that you do for this family and for this country. I am so proud to call you mine and to share my life with you. You are my other half. The one I can't live without. You are my husband, my best friend. My everything. My world is you!!! I'll love you always!!


(kiss, kiss)


Happy Birthday Sweetie!

15 comments:

Natalie said...

you know, i've been right there with you through all that but it was still wonderful to read about it. You guys are so great together. Hope your bday was great, Don! xoxo nat

Taffy said...

A great tribute Cherstin! I enjoy reading about your wonderful family and the life you guys have made together. Happy Birthday to Don! I am glad those "other relationships" didn't work out for either of you! :) It sounds like you guys were meant for each other.

Chelsie said...

Oh! I love it! You are the bestest wife ever!

Anonymous said...

Sweet wifey! Thank you so much! Who knew that I would marry the girl I thought was totally out of my league. My life has been amazing and as I look back on it there isn't a single event that I can say happend by accident. You make me want to be a better man. I'm grateful for your influence in my life. Thank you for loving me.

T~ Thank you for teaching me how to treat a lady

cally said...

oh my goodness.

Don, would you like to be a guest commenter on my blog? Occasionally?

Chersty, you are so sweet. You've always been so passionate about your affections. I love you.

And Don I think.

Anonymous said...

Here I am wiping the tears off my face -
Cherstin you do have a way with words and
photos.
I love him too and was so happy when he called
this past Saturday and hearing the noises of the
boys in the background.
I feel you two are blessed - I love being
your grandma and Oma to your boys.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Donnie, one more time!
Take care oxoxox
Grandma/Oma

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading Don's Birthday blog. And I chuckled to myself as I read the memory of hitting him with a flag pole. Though I don't remember that exact incident, I can definitely imagine it happening. And Don must have been a very disciplined band member to not complain about it. Those flag poles can hurt!!
Erin Shaffer Hibbitt

Nana/Mom said...

Hi Cherstin!!!! I didn't know he was such a great guy!! And how sweet, now I know the rest of the story, well, not all of it I know. I so glad that you two picked each other. Hugs, Patsi/Mom

Emily said...

HAPPY Belated Don!!!
Cherstin, I added you to my blogroll, is that okay???
I LOVE YOUR PHOTOS!!!!

Becca & Joel said...

Aaaaahhhhh! Just awesome! And I'm STILL jealous that Don even reads your blog, let alone contributes to it with comments! What a great guy! Happy {late} birthday big guy!

Sandberg Family said...

Wow, that was so sweet! I really enjoyed taking a walk down memory lane with you. I'm so excited for you guys. You guys are so cute. I love you both so much!!!!! Mom

MissRebecca said...

Cherstin, you could not be any cuter if you tried! I love that you married your high school sweetheart.

YOu guys look gorgeous, your family is amazing. Hope to see you soon love!
Beck

Roman-Krauth Family said...

It so great to feel that way about the man you married after so many years. I am so happy you ave that. I finally do with my fiance so I understand your feelings. Your boys are so cute. I hope we even out our 3 with a boy being #4 they keep life interesting for sure!!

tiffany knox said...

thanks for the compliment that made me feel so good hear that you think Im a good mom. I think you are too. what are you doing today since there is no school and don is probably off? target is having a huge shoe sale 2 and 3 dollar boots and shoes check it out!

Mandy Stewart said...

I love you two. Did you tell Don I called on his b-day? I never heard the story of you hitting him in the head. Funny. I wish I dated my hubby in high school. I am always jelouse of the memories he has with his high school sweat heart. Blah! Hehe. What you two have is special.