Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One Cloudy, Scary Weekend!

I seem to be blogging a lot about Brigham lately. I don't mean to, it just happens I guess. I love all of my boys so I'm thinking it's just the age. 2 yrs old is so entertaining. This weekend, however, was anything but. A bit of an eye opener for me you could say.
I need to fill in some new readers if I'm going to explain all this. I don't blog about My kids Immune Deficiency very often even though it is a big part of our lives. Only 3 of my 4 boys have it. Layton, Kelland and Brigham. I was so excited that I didn't pass this on to Jaren. (Yes, it is genetic and is passed through the mother) They have to have IV treatments of B cells to help boost their immune systems to a normal kid every month. The treatments help so much. It is like night and day. But it doesn't mean they will never get sick again. It just means that it's not as frequent. The real truth is that this immune deficiency is pretty rare. And because of that they really don't know a lot about it. They are still learning. It is called X-linked Agammaglobulinemia or XLA. Because my children can't produce enough of the b cells to fight off infection they are at a higher risk for getting sick. Not just small stuff like upper respiratory infections but also big stuff. Like pneumonia, meningitis and even cancer. The treatments help the risk to go down. But I think the Doctors are still concerned for the worst scenario.
Brigham had the flu last week with a fever and an achy body. His fever broke and a small nose cold set in. And by Friday I had noticed that the left side of his neck was swollen. And when I felt his glands I felt a golf ball size rock where his glands would normally be. I was concerned because this was obviously abnormal. But at the same time he didn't have a fever anymore and appeared to be feeling better. So I called his ped. Dr. To see if he should be seen. A nurse assured me that this is common sometimes after a cold and to treat it with Motrin. His doctor, however, called me after hours and explained that because of his immune deficiency he really should've been seen and we need to go to the ER right away. Don took him that night. They decided that it was probably Limphitis and gave him an IV antibiotic. Then sent him home with a prescription and a follow up Dr appt. for Monday. By Sunday he was doing a little better and it seemed as though the swelling was starting to go down. We went to church and I was telling some friends about what was going on. One of my friends started to get teary eyed as I was explaining and said that is really scary. She had a daughter about 3 yrs ago die of cancer. And she said that's how it all started with her. Everything seemed to mimic exactly her experience with her daughter. Where the lump was on the neck, what they did and said for her daughter, what we did and said for Brig. What the doctors did and said. Even the same antibiotic. The only difference is that the lump appeared to be getting smaller and her daughters didn't. Knowing that my children are at risk for things like Cancer I was terrified all the sudden. I hadn't considered it being something like cancer. And it hit me hard. I didn't want to over react. I just kept telling myself that this wouldn't happen to us. It will be ok. But all I could think about was I know that Jennifer (my friend) thought the exact same thing with her daughter. I told Don and he was just as concerned. We considered taking him back to the hospital to get some answers. But decided to calm down and wait for the Dr appointment the next day. We were very uneasy all day Sunday. As much as you tell your self not to think about it you always do. By Monday the swelling had definitely gone down. And I was feeling much better about it not being cancer. And the Dr was pleased as well to see that it had gone down. I didn't realize how pleased until I asked her the Cancer question. I asked her if this could be cancer. She admitted that she was concerned about it being cancer. Because kids who come in with Lymphitis (especially with how bad Brig was) they don't act like he was acting all energetic and calm. They have high fevers and have to be admitted to the hospital to control the pain and the swelling. So she was concerned that it was something else but needed to rule out the lesser of the two evils. At first I was kind of embarrassed to ask. Not wanting to look like one of those extreme moms. But when I realized my feelings of concern were confirmed I had mixed emotions. Part of me would rather be the crazy, overly obsessed mom. And I was a little upset with them for not telling us. I know that they didn't want to upset us if there was nothing wrong. But I feel as though I need to know so next time I wont just call the Dr to SEE if he should be seen but demand it. I realize that my kids are still pretty vulnerable. Even after their treatments. And I know I can't go through life, waiting for Cancer to hit. I don't want that. But I want to be aware. And knowledgeable. So that when we come across a nurse or Doctor that doesn't quit understand their condition, (which happens way to often) I can be the one to have the knowledge and confidence to speak for my children's well being. So it seems to only be Limphitis. And he is on a strong antibiotic for the next 3 weeks. Nothing to worry about. It was just a scare. But one that has changed how I look at this crazy thing. In some ways I feel more in control. And that would be the silver lining in this cloudy, scary weekend.

9 comments:

Nana/Mom said...

hi-guess who, your most faithful follower. (ok, I love reading about what you guys are doing) Wow, what a rough weekend, but I am so gratefull that all is good. Hug and Kisses-mom nana

Emily said...

Oh my gosh Cherstin, my heart just goes out to all of you.
Poor baby, poor everyone, I cannot even imagine the stress! I have read this post three times and my goodness, you are anything but overreactive.
You would do anything for your children, I would have reacted the same way. You have every right to ask. When it comes to your children, there truly is NO thing as a stupid question. And every little bit of inforamtion helps. Even if you have to squeeze the doc to get it (I have squeezed a little before)
I will keep all of you in my prayers and please keep us posted on your sweet little man. I hope he feels MUCH better soon.
I love you,
Emily

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would check and see if you
had anything on your blog today - yes you did -
boy did you ever!
Hope you ALL are able to relax a little after the
scary last few days.
Grateful that all is well now.
You all take care - oxoxox
Love Grandma/Oma

Chelsie said...

Oh Cherstin! I love you all so much, and it is things like this that help me see that. I'm so grateful everything is okay. Are you okay?

cally said...

The truth is...we don't know what will come tomorrow. I don't want to be an "alarmist" with my kids either, so I try not to make a big deal out of things I think, or hope, are normal. All I can do is pray constantly that the Lord will let me know when to push.

Andy has asthma. Conan and I thought we knew the drill...he'd get a fever, start coughing, we'd give him some treatments, and he'd get over it in a couple days. Well, one time, like any other time, I decided to take him in. No big ephiphany. Just a decision. On the way to the doctor Andy's oxygen levels went below dangerous and there was mass chaos in the office. Not only was he suffocating, but so were his organs. If we would've followed the normal drill, Andy would've gone into a coma at home and suffered brain damage, kidney failure, etc. I became much more educated, about asthma and about "instincts". Because of this, Andy got better preventative treatments from a new doctor, and he's been "episode" free for a year.

Our "instincts" aren't always fireworks. But we'll know.

Man, I'm sorry Cherstin. You're a good mom.

Taffy said...

I will second what Cally said about instincts. You may not know the exact problem but something will tell you to push further or ask more questions. Being an advocate for your child can be a powerful thing.

In a completely different direction- I had your music on the other day when I was picking up in our family room. Great tunes! When I read your blog I only get a song or two. By just having it playing I got to hear a lot more. It was great. I love just listening to random songs while I am puttering around the house. I need bigger speakers for my computer. Anyway- great selections.

MissRebecca said...

Oh my Cherstin... that must have been so hard to get through the weekend. I absolutely COMMEND you for deciding to be the voice of your children when docs and nurses blow off their condition. Good for you sweetie and I am glad you had something positive come out of such a scarey weekend!

Love you!!!!!!

Emily said...

Hey,
Just want you to know I love you and I am so blessed and grateful to have you as a friend. I am writing a post about it but cannot finish it no matter how hard I try. It will be up tomorrow.
A post about how I am blessed in friends. That means you baby!!!

Roman-Krauth Family said...

You always should follow your instinct when it comes to your kids health. Especially in your case. I just blogged about our scare with meningitis with my daughter over the weekend. I am taking her in to get tested for mono on Wednesday. But my gut instinct kept telling me something wasn't right. Mono is not as serious and meningitis but its not good to just wait around to see what may happen. Who cares if the ER or Dr think we are paranoid moms. I too had a friend who's son died before he was one. So it makes me listen to my gut instinct that we are granted with as mothers. It is our greatest tool in this mothering business. I wish you and your beautiful boys the best, and remember to always follow your instinct!!