Thursday, April 17, 2008

2nd day in Pencacola

Thursday was our second day of our vacation and we were stumped as to things to do with the kids besides the beach. On the Navy base driving around we noticed an old brick structure that was huge with thick walls and lots of funny windows. It even had a draw bridge and a (dry) mote. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of that . It was really cool. We decided to go and check it out. It turns out it was a historical site right there on the base. It dated back to the 1300's. I love to see and learn about old buildings like this so it was fascinating to me. And Don love war history so he also enjoyed it. The kids loved running around and pretending there was a ghost around every corner. It did have an eery feel to it. This is us walking up to the fort.The door that Kelland is standing in front of is to a room where they kept all the ammunition. Notice how thick the walls are. It's solid brick. I think that's what amazed me the most is how well this structure was built for back then. It would have taken a long time. Kelland wouldn't stay still enough for me to take a good picture of him because he was scared of the dark room behind him. He told me that's the ghosts bedroom. The windows were built with an angle for the rifles to fit through and move from side to side. Brigham and Layton look so cute perched up there that I just had to take a picture. All throughout the building their would be writing on the bricks . Some were really hard to read. The one on the bottom says: MISS IDA MOSSER. #6 HARLAN AVE. LOUISVILLE KY..........year 1314. I love to think of what it was like for this soldier. Miss Ida must have been pretty important to him to write her name on the wall. Or maybe he didn't have anywhere else to keep her address. Who knows, the possibilities are endless.








Stairway to Heaven!In the video you can hear the kids pretending to be ghosts. Brigham just wants to run around and keep up with his big brothers.



I love this picture of ALL my boys. This one is going up on the wall for sure. And isn't the architecture amazing?! I couldn't stop taking picture after picture of it. Notice the "enough" expression on my husbands face. He's so cute when he's annoyed:)

After our afternoon of spending time among the ghosts it was off to the beach....Again!!!!

Don loves to bury the kids in the sand and to my surprise they all seemed to enjoy it. I must be to much of a girl but it just seemed dirty to me.











The water was a little warmer then day before. So they were in it for a little bit. Their favorite part was when the waves would crash into them. Kelland would hold on to Daddy for dear life. After 45 min of that Jaren was looking for the warm towel.









This day for me was all about the camera. I think I took at least a hundred pictures. These are some of the pictures I am proud of and would like to share. It's obvious that they aren't perfect but for me it's close enough to make me happy.



























So every day should end this way don't you think?! A nice relaxing snooze on the beach with the warm sun beating down. Who could ask for anything more.




Day 3 up next.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

So great! Alex made me play the video over and over. I want to go to the beach!!!

tiffany knox said...

hello! I am in love with your family!

Casey said...

Wow! That building was great. That's what I love about the East Coast. There are soooo many old buildings to enjoy and learn about. Thanks for sharing. And I'm so glad you guys had so much fun.

Natalie said...

hey hon, i changed my blog address so i didn't have to be private anymore...i hated it! Anyway, change your link to me to www.happyhavoc.blogspot.com
xo!