Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bye Bye Daddy!!!

Well the time has come once again for my husband to go and serve in Iraq. We dropped him off today at 7:00 in the morning and he left about 4 hrs later. The first day is always the hardest for me. So I give myself the one day to sulk and feel sorry for myself. Then the next day it's time to move on, be strong and get things done. And by the second day it's already one day closer to him coming home. So the countdown begins. Even though I know that we don't have it as bad as most, it's still hard to be away from each other. The loneliness sets in and emptiness that makes you feel like part of you is missing. I always have a list of things that I dread at first when he leaves and it's the constant reminders that he's not home. The missing tooth brush. The smell of his fabulous shower gel that lingers after his shower. The empty side of the bed. And then the ones that really bother me, like his laundry that starts to disappear after awhile. This always reminds me of the danger he is in. And the posibility that I may never do his laundry agian. I try not to think about that but that's why this one is so hard on me. Not being able to watch our favorite shows together. One of our favorite things to do together. Going to church without him there. I really have a hard time with this one because I'm surrounded by Dons friends and their presence makes me long for him to be there. After a while has past, like 2 months into it, I start missing being held and touched. Even just a hug.
Having said all that I want people to know that I believe in whet he is doing. I am so proud of him and am grateful to call him mine. I'm grateful that I too get to play a part in serving my country. He is a strong leader and will be every bit as successful as I know he wants to be over there with getting the things he needs to done. No matter how difficult or tiring it might be. I on the other hand am not a leader. So this role is a little more difficult for me. But I try. And sometimes I fail and sometimes I'm successful. I have noticed that when I am closer to the Lord I have more successes then failers. I'm so grateful for the friends that I have here and my family to help me through these hard times. Sometimes it's hard to ask for help but I'm getting better at it. Even though this is really hard I'm grateful for the opportunity to grow from this trail the Lord has challenged me with.
I will make it through! I will succeed! I will make you proud Don.
I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU TO RETURN!
I LOVE YOU!!!!
I MISS YOU!!!!
BE SAFE MY LOVE!

9 comments:

Megan said...

Cherstin~ I want you to know that I have been thinking of you all day. Please know that you and ALL your boys are in our prayers. I know how hard it is to see them off... You are an amazing, strong and super cute woman. I am honored to be your friend. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. ~ Megan

Natalie said...

That was heart-wrenching! And a beautiful tribute (with a very artistic photo too!) I'm so proud of you for being a survivor. It's hard to think of ever taking on being without that daily help of your spouse for four months. I don't know how you do it, but I've noticed how strong you've become. As the person whose probably watched you the most throughout your life, I do want you to know that you are a much stronger woman than I ever thought you'd be. (That sounds mean but you know what i mean, right? lol) You're like pioneer-ancestor strong! (I just pictured a yoplait commercial. You know the ones?
Think about it...it's funny.)
Anyway, I'm so proud of you and your wonderful family. Don is amazing for his willingness to serve...I know this time away is so hard on him too. Thank you both. We love you so much. Can't wait for you to visit. Let's get the video chat thing going too! xoxo natty

Anonymous said...

Hi there, ok, now that i have wiped the tears from my eyes.....wow...please know how very pround Don and I are of the both of you, Donnie, (sorry all, we are his parents after all) you for serving, for chosing to be the champion for all of us to keep us safe and free, on a lighter note, you took the roots and wings speach a little far. LOL Cherstin, you amaze me, your strength humbles me, makes me proud to know you, and grateful that you are part of this crazy family. We will talk to you soon,
hugs and kisses to all....Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that any two people could love one another any more than we do. Saying goodbye doesn't get easier and I'm grateful for that because it's my heart's way of telling me how much it misses you and the kids. You never give yourself enough credit. You are more of a leader than you know. The boys look up to you in these hard times. They look to you to see how they should act in times like these. I know this isn't what you "signed up for", but I believe we'll be blessed for the sacrifices we're making now. This can't last forever, right? Stay close to the Lord, pray for us all and remember that time stops for no one. LEt's meet this challenge head on and reap the rewards of dilligent service. I love you beautiful wife and I honor your sacrifice will all that I am able to give. Thank you for loving and supporting me, it makes this easier and give me strength. I love you!

Mandy Stewart said...

I have been thinking of you all week and even tried to call. I hope each day is getting easier. I was so touched reading your feelings about day one.... then I read dons comment to you and had to hold back the tears. I am sure you will cherish that forever. I love you tooo! snd your hubby. Hope to talk to you soon!

Emilee said...

I'm glad you shared all of that Cherstin. It gives the rest of us a better idea of what you and Don are going through. You are an example to many with your willingness to sacrafice for your country and family and to do what the Lord asks of you. I want you to know that because it gives me courage when you have courage. Keep up the good attitude and again, please let me do anything I can for you!

Rockabilly Mom said...

I had to comment, I thought it might cheer you up. I remember when Don returned from his last deployment and I asked you if you were so happy to have him back and you said kinda but you were so used to doing it alone that it was weird having him there. This happens every deployment with everyone I talk to, they go through the initial "depression" stage and they eventually get so used to their spouse being gone that it is weird to have them home in the end. I know it was that way with me when Dan deployed. He probably will be deploying again in Feb and I'm scared to death. I just pray the kids will mellow out during that time. On a different note, my sis is starting to come with my mom to church. She is single and newly pregnant and needs friends. If you see her, say hi. She really needs good influences in her life right now and you were such a great friend to me that I want her to get to know you. Love you lots Cherstin!

tiffany knox said...

Im never going to get over this cold if you people keep making me cry! I am sad that I am not closer but I am always just a phone call away!

cally said...

oh my gosh, cherstin. I just found you. Natalie just found me. I love you.