Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spotlight: Happy Birthday Dad!


With sticking to our tradition of spotlighting people on their birthdays, it is my fathers turn. He is turning 50 something today and I wanted to send him my love. I don't get to see much of my father anymore since i got married and moved away. But he is always a huge part of my everyday. More then he realizes I'm sure. The things he taught me growing up and most of all the example he has been to both me and my husband is something I could not live without. The thing my father and I like to do most of all is talk about my childhood and remember the good old days............... He was a gentle father to us girls. He didn't raise his voice very often and NEVER did in public. He would get down to our level, hold us close and whisper in our ears what we were doing wrong and what he expected from us. But he was also firm. When he wanted to speak with us about something we knew he meant business. I can still remember ever detail of the office he had in the Utah house. I was in there quit a lot getting direction from him and a well deserved attitude adjustment I'm sure. We would love to play with him and climb on his back and be tickled. A tradition I have kept up with my boys is the tickle game. We would all lay on the floor next to each other with our hand up and he would pretend to tickle our arm pits without touching them and whoever would move first lost. My kids love this game as well. I think Natalie always lost first. I also remember him being soft and loving towards my mother. When they would argue it always seemed to be over quick or behind closed doors. He would always tell us how special she was and that we needed to help out more because he didn't like seeing her upset. He has always been my biggest fan. He never doubted me. Always encouraged me to do my best. This is huge. So much of my confidence and self worth was nourished by this. I can't thank you enough for this daddy! When I think back on my childhood I don't have any negative thoughts. I know that my parents weren't perfect but I think that the good out weighed the bad and the sense of overwhelming love and acceptance fills my heart. I can honestly argue that it was practically perfect in every way. I was never embarrassed of my parents as a teen and loved to be around them. My dad always made us laugh. I remember nights at the dinner table with all of us just laughing and enjoying each other. He still makes me laugh. I still love to be around him. He still is there for me and my family when ever I need him. He still is the person I go to for advice or guidance. Even though I moved out over 10 years ago he still is my dad. I love him so much and hope he feels that from all of us on a daily bases. I am the person I am today because of my father. And he has even played a part in Don becoming the wonderful husband and father that he is today. His influence on all of us is constant and very much appreciated.


Thank you dad for everything! I know I wasn't the easiest child to parent. But I think you did an awesome job. Don is even inspired to live up to your example. I honestly hope my children are as happy as I was growing up. And after they are grown and look back on their life with true happiness like I do, then I'll know that I have succeeded. I hope you feel that way now. I am sorry I can't be there for your birthday but just know I'm thinking of you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I LOVE YOU!



2 comments:

Natalie said...

that picture at the top is the best picture i've ever seen of you. you should blow it up real big. So sweet!

Shari Goodman said...

Happy Birthday uncle Toad! I think you are pretty great too to have turned out such great kids!